Listed Buildings in Elmswell

All properties TL 96 SE except item 2/29 Grove Farmhouse
All Grade II listed properties except St John’s Church (II*)
Listing by DoE in May 1988

ASHFIELD ROAD
5/20 White House Farmhouse

Farmhouse, early C19 with probably earlier core. Gault brick. Glazed pantiled roof: an axial C19 chimney of gault brick, and a gable chimney to right. 2 storeys. 4 windows. Small-pane sashes with flush frames. 6-panelled entrance door, with semi-circular fanlight and triangular pediment.

ASHFIELD ROAD
5/21 Willow Farmhouse

Farmhouse, C15 with late C16/early C17 alterations. One storey and attics; a 2-storey with attics cross-wing added to left. A 3-cell open hall house. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof, half-hipped at right-hand end. Two C18/C19 gabled plaintiled dormers, one with 3 leaded-glazed lights. An axial early C17 chimney of red brick, with a frieze of red terracotta tiles forming a diaper pattern. An external service chimney to left is similar, but also has a sawtooth shaft. Late C18 or early C19 3-light casements. Mid C20 battened and boarded entrance door. A single-storey extension to left of C17/C18, and a lean-to C19 extension to right. Interior: The smoke-encrusted open hall roof was originally of crownpost form; the post has been damaged during later alterations by the removal of the octagonal shaft below the braces, and is no longer in the structure. It has a plain splayed capital with 4-centred curved solid plank braces. The hall has widely-spaced tension-braced studding, and a blocked 4-centred arched cross-entry doorway. The cross-wing was added c.1600, when basecrucks were inserted at the upper level at the junction with the service cell of the older building.

ASHFIELD ROAD
5/22 Green Farmhouse

Farmhouse, early C17 or earlier. 2 storeys. 4 windows. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof with axial chimney of C17 red brick. C20 casements with leaded glazing. C20 gabled porch at lobby-entrance position. The right hand (parlour) cell is lower at the ridgeline than the rest of the building and probably built at a different time.

ASHFIELD ROAD
5/23 Oak Farmhouse

Former farmhouse: late C15 or c.1500, with core early C14 or c.1300. Alterations of c.1600. A rare but depleted example of a modest aisled hall house. One storey and attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. Timber-framed and plastered. Pantiled roof, formerly thatched. An axial chimney of C17 red brick. Early C19 casements. Boarded C19 door at cross-entry position with gabled C19 open porch on posts. Interior: The earliest and most important of 4 main phases is a fragmentary survival from a modest aisled hall house of, probably, c.1300. A closed aisled truss at the left hand end of the hall was at the ‘lower’ end, with seni-octagonal shafts rising to moulded capitals. From these rise a pair of lap-dovetailed braces to a slender tiebeam. Above the tiebeam is a gable entirely of wattle and daub without studding, but below it is full close-studding - probably a C15 Introduction. The arcade-plate at the front wall (both aisles have been removed) has a straight brace from the arcade post. It has evidence for two unequal bays in the hall, and for an open truss braced only in the upper bay, not in the lower - a rare feature. Also evidence for multiple tiebeams; over the cross-entry, and one either side of the open truss (unequally spaced because of the unequal bay lengths). In the late C15 the front wall was rebuilt beneath the arcade plate, with close studding. A cross-entry was formed at the right hand end: a close-studded partition with a pair of 4-centred arched service doorways (one with its original door remaining). The rear aisle remained at this stage. In the front wall is the diamond-mullioned hall window. In late C16, a 1st floor was inserted in the hall, with unchamfered joists laid flat, and an archbraced tie-beam inserted beneath the two arcade plates at the open truss, in place of the previous tie beam(s). In early C17, a parlour block was added to left of the hall, with on-edge 1st floor joists and with back-to-back open fireplaces in the hall and parlour. The service cell to right was also rebuilt, on a tail plinth of narrow bricks, and reusing medieval timbers. Several blocked diamond-mullioned windows. All roofs rebuilt, using clasped purlins. A complete late C16 plank-and-muntin cross-passage screen is in the hall.

ASHFIELD ROAD
5/24 Dagwood Farmhouse

Farmhouse; early C17 or earlier and in 3 phases. One storey and attics. Two short ranges forming an L-plan, one of which has been extended by a lower 2- cell service range of about 2 bays. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof: C19 eyebrow dormer with a small-pane sash. An early C17 internal chimney set between the two main ranges: red brick with a diaper-pattern tiled frieze at the base, and 3 detached octagonal shafts. Mainly early C19 small- paned horizontally sliding casements. C19 4-panelled part-glazed entrance door with a C20 thatched porch on posts. The service range has an C18 axial chimney of red brick and a C19 boarded entrance door.

CHURCH ROAD
5/25 Church of St John GV II*

Parish church, medieval. Restored 1862/64 by E.G. Hakewill and 1872 by J D. Wyatt. Nave, chancel, north.and south aisles, west tower, south porch, north vestry and organ chamber. Flint and septaria rubble with freestone dressings (C19 work has knapped flint and rubble). Slated nave roof, plaintiled chancel rooff. Flat aisle roofs behind parapets. Parapet gables. Mid and late C14 work in chancel: hoodmoulded south doorway, reticulated traceried east window and two south windows, ogee-headed piscina. Mid C14 south nave arcade of 5 bays, with fluted octagonal shafts and moulded capitals. Reset and restored late C14 aisle windows. Fine late C15 tower, with twin belfry windows on each face under a single hoodmould. Good flushwork tracery to parapets, and on buttress faces: at the head-of each buttress is a canopied image niche. A frieze around the base has more panels with intricate tracery. West doorway with grotesque hoodmould corbels. Good C15 nave clerestory: 5 bays of traceried windows, between each is a pillar once supporting a figure, and beneath is a frieze moulded and with fleurons of a wide variety of designs. Tall C15 shafted tower arch. In 1872 the north aisle was added: the north doorway and several windows, all of late C13, were re-set in its walls: Y- traceried windows, and the doorway which has a heavy hoodmould with grotesque corbels. The C15 porch has 3 image niches over the entrance, whose jambs and shafts remain. Otherwise the porch was restored in 1862. Mid C14 inner south doorway. Interior fittings: The northern arm of a C15 parclose screen in the south aisle: 4 traceried panels with cresting above, the solid panels below have C20 painted figures. C15 octagonal limestone font: the sunk faces of the bowl have shields each bearing a letter, beneath it are angels, and birds support the stem. 5 good C15 poppyhead benches with traceried ends and buttresses in the north aisle, and 5 more in the south. A fine monument in the south aisle to Sir Robert Gardener (d.l6l9): a coloured reclining figure with his kneeling son beside him and an empty gown lying below. A coffered canopy on Corinthian columns and his Coat of Arms forming a crown. A C15 slab in the south aisle floor with large brass sinking: a figure within a large cross. The C19 work was as follows: Virtual rebuilding of south aisle by E.C. Hakewill in 1862, and remodelling of chancel in 1864. Addition of north aisle and rebuilding of main roof by J.D. Wyatt in 1872.

CHURCH ROAD
5/26 Churchyard Cross, 6m south of Church of St John GV II

Churchyard cross, C15 or early C16, restored mid C19. Limestone. A square offset plinth of C19. The base, 0.8m square and 0.5m high, is medieval: buttresses with traceried sunk panels at each corner. A panel on each side has a sunk quatrefoil and fleur de lys above. Tapering octagonal shaft about 2.5m high. A tabernacle at the head has a pyramidal roof with 4 gables, one having a niche with carved crucifixion scene.

CHURCH ROAD
5/27 Two monuments, 3m east of the east chancel wall of Church of St John GV II

.
Two headstones of limestone: the northernmost and larger to Mr Matthew M... (damaged), died 1695. A pair of skeletons on either side stand upon hourglases. A winged cherub face above an inscription in a cartouche. The second stone is partially buried: two skulls, palm fronds, a cherub's face and part of an inscription are visible.

CHURCH ROAD
5/28 Nos. 1 to 3 (consec) The Almshouses GV II

Terrace of 3 cottages. Built as 6 almshouses, c.1614 for Sir Robert Gardener. Narrow red/buff bricks, with parapet gables. Slated roof: two internal chimneys of red/buff bricks with sawtooth shafts and a similar chimney rising from apex of each gable. One storey. 6 windows. Two-light mullioned windows with plastered surrounds in simulation of ashlar work. An ovolo-moulded label at the head: C20 steel casements with leaded lights. A central entrance doorway: plastered outer frame with cambered head and heavy wooden inner frame, and C18/C19 boarded door. A pair of doorways to each of the end cottages: plaster-work and label to match windows. Flat chamfered head supported by heavy wooden frame. The right-hand pair of doors are of battened plank form and may be original. The left-hand pair of boarded doors are unoriginal: one blocked, the other C18/C19. Over the central doorway is a gable, within which is a square sundial. Beneath the sundial is a square limestone panel inscribed: "SIR ROBERT GARDENER KT. SOMETIME LORD OF THESE MANORS OF ELMSWELL AND WOLPIT FOUNDED THIS ALMSHOUSE IN YE TIME OF HIS LIFE AN0 1614 AND GAVE UNTO IT SUFFICIENT MAINTENANCE FOR SIX POORE WOMEN WIDOWS TO CONTINUE FOR EVER".

GROVE ROAD
2/29 (TL 96 NE) Grove Farmhouse

Farmhouse, mid-C16 with early Cl6 core. Remodelling of early C19. 2 storeys. 3-cell plan. Timber framed, encased on the north side in C19 gault brick, now painted, plastered on other sides. Concrete tiled C19 roof. An axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in C18/early C19 red brick. Various C19 and C20 casements. Mid C20 half-glazed panelled door at lobby-entrance position. Interior: Good timber framing exposed internally, of at least two phases in C16, and probably more work of C17. The parlour block has close-studding with a roll-and-cavetto moulded mullioned window. The chamber above has a 4- centred arched doorway beside the chimney, and an inserted early C17 ceiling of chamfered joists laid flat. The hall and service cells have plain unchamfered 1st floor joists of late C16 appearance, but the service cell has high quality close-studding of early C16 type. Major alterations over the hall and service cells, suggesting a possible reversal involving the parlour of the first building becoming a service room later. A good lintelled mid C16 fireplace in the hall. The clasped-purlin roof over the hall remains in part: the eaves line was lower in this section until C19. A mid C19 parlour block at the west end: painted gault brick, slated roof, sashes with large panes.

HAWK END LANE
5/30 Hawk End Cottage

House, C17 or earlier. One storey and attics. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof with 3 late C19 eyebrow casement dormers. An axial early C17 chimney of pink/buff brick with sawtooth shaft. Late C19 2-light casements. Half-glazed door at lobby-entrance position with mid C20 thatched gabled porch. Interior not examined.

KILN LANE
5/31 Cross Ways

Farmhouse, early C19. Gault brick. Hipped glazed-pantiled roof with internal chimneys of gault brick. 2 storeys. 3 windows. Sashes with flush frames and flat arches of gauged brick: small-pane sashes. 6-panelled entrance door, the upper pair of panels glazed, the lower 4 fielded: reeded pilasters and blind plastered semi-circular fanlight.

NEW ROAD
5/32 Lilac House

"The Willows" (at 20.7.89) - initialled
Now known as The Willows
House, early C17 with fragmentary medieval core. 2 storeys and attics. 3-cel1 lobby-entrance plan. Timber- framed and roughcast: the parlour block to right has an oversailing gable tiebeam with delicately carved console brackets beneath. Concrete plaintiled roof. An axial early C17 chimney of red brick: sawtooth shaft and plinth with ovolo-moulded cornice. 3-light C19 casements at 1st storey and small-pane sashes with sidelights below. Mid C19 4-panelled entrance door, the upper panels glazed. Interior: The C17 parlour block to right was added to an earlier building of which only the walling remains: this shows smoke-blackening and appears to have comprised an open hall of C15 or early C16 which must have had additional cells at left or right, or both: heavy arch-windbraced studding. The walls were raised and a floor inserted with good chamfered joists in late C16 or c.1600. C17 windbraced clasped- purlin roof throughout. A large lean-to outshut of late C18 or early C19 to rear.

SCHOOL ROAD
5/33 Church Cottage

House, mid C16. One storey and attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. Timber- framed and plastered. Pantiled roof, once thatched: gabled C20 casement dormers. An axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in C20 red brick. Mid C20 casements. A C16 ogee moulded mullioned window is exposed and glazed, and another of early C17 ovolo-mullioned type in the parlour. A C20 half-glazed panelled door on the garden side at cross-entry position. C20 gabled entrance porch at lobby-entrance position with panelled door. Interior: Typical modest but heavy mid C16 framing throughout. Unchamfered square-sectioned floor joists. A pair of 4-centred arched service room doorways (one restored). Clasped purlin roof; windbracing at gable only. Central over the hall is a heavy collarbeam truss, in place of a tie beam. Evidence for a timber-framed chimney on the site of the present one, which is of c.1600 with back-to-back lintelled fireplaces. Restored c.1980 after a period of dereliction, when the service cell was rebuilt and other alterations made.

SCHOOL ROAD
5/34 Elmswell Hall

Farmhouse, formerly manor house. Circa:1550-80 with major remodelling of early Cl9, and mid C20. Timber-framed, encased in early C19 gault brick with dentilled eaves cornice; some earlier plaster-work at rear. Concrete tiled hipped roof. Two external C16/C17 chimneys of orange/buff brick and an internal chimney of gault brick rebuilt in C20. 2 storeys. 3 windows. Early C19 window openings with flat arches of painted finely-gauged brick: mid C20 aluminium casements. C19 entrance doorway with C20 half-glazed panelled door; an open pediment of painted limestone on enriched console brackets: probably reset from an C18 building. Interior: a late Cl6 crosswing of about 4 bays to left has partially exposed framing: heavy principal posts and cambered tiebeams. Close studding with evidence for ogee-moulded and 4-centred arched doorways. Windbraced clasped purlin roof. To rear right is further C16 work., much altered. A little C17 wainscotting. A partially infilled medieval moat.

SCHOOL ROAD
5/35 Nos. 1 and 2 Hall Cottages

Two houses, built as one. A parlour block to right of c.1550-70 added to an earlier hall range. 3-cell cross-entry plan. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered: a gable at the south end of late C18 or early C19 red brick. Pantiled roof once thatched. An axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in C19 red brick, and a gable chimney of C19/C20 to left. Mainly casements of c.1980. A C19/C20 boarded entrance door at cross-entry position. Interior: The parlour block has high quality late C16 framing: a bridging beam has an unusual form of debased and shallow vinescroll carving, and the floor joists are roll moulded. Very closely-spaced studding and roll-and-cavetto moulded mullioned windows. Lintelled open fireplace. Hall range not examined: from photographs taken during restoration this appears to have been a single storey structure of medieval origin, the eaves line raised and the roof rebuilt in C17/C18. Restored c.1980 with additions to right and rear.

SCHOOL ROAD
5/36 Nos. 1 and 2 Tudor Cottages

Two houses, built as one in mid C16 or earlier. Two storeys. 4 windows. 3- cell plan. Timber-framed: the front wall framing is exposed with plaster infill panels between heavy close-studding. Half-hipped roof, shingled (once thatched). An axial chimnney, the shaft rebuilt in mid C20 red brick; gable chimneys of mid C20 red brick to left and right. Mid C20 3-light small-pane casements. Two hipped roofed mid C20 entrance porches with half-timbering and panelled doors. Interior not examined.

STATION ROAD
5/37 Ivy House

Former farmhouse. Early C17. One storey and attics. 3-cell plan. Timber- framed and plastered: the parlour cell to right has an oversailing gable tiebeam with double ovolo-moulding, and a pair of console brackets beneath. Concrete plaintiled roof with axial early C17 chimney of red brick: a sawtooth shaft largely rebuilt in C19, and an original base with ovolo-moulded cornice. 3 C19 gabled casement dormers. Late C19 sashes with large panes; mid C20 French doors. A glazed door at approximate position of cross entry on garden side: main entrance now at rear C19/C20 extension.

STATION ROAD
5/38 The Old Bank House

House, early C16. 2 storeys with attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. Timber- framed and plastered: C19 herringbone pargetting. The 1st floor is long-wall jettied along the frontage; most framing concealed but some chamfered brackets and shafts with moulded capitals are visible beneath the jetty, plaintiled roof: an early C17 axial chimney of red brick with 4 moulded octagonal shafts. A second similar chimney, internal to the left hand gable. Both chimneys have shafts rebuilt in C19. Late C19 small-pane 3-light casements, those at ground storey with transomes. Doorway at cross-entry position: C17 12-panelled oak door, or possibly a C19 copy. Interior not examined: the house probably has good C16 features.

STATION ROAD
5/39 Street Farmhouse

Farmhouse, early C17 with late C19 remodelling. 2 storeys. 4 windows. 3- cell cross-entry plan. Timber-framed, encased at the front in late Cl9 gault brick. Concrete tiled roof, once thatched. An axial early Cl7 chimney of pink/buff brick, the upper shaft rebuilt in Cl9 red brick. An external gable chimney of C17 pink/buff brick to left, with later attached lean-to bread oven. At 1st storey are C19 large-pane sashes. Two C19 flat roofed bay windows, one with a sash window, the other with a C20 casement. C19 6- panelled door at cross-entry position, with open gabled porch on posts. A 2- storey wing to rear, added in C17 or C18; this and most of rear elevation encased in early C20 common brick. Interior not examined.

STATION ROAD
5/40 Rose Cottage

House, Cl7 or earlier. One storey and attics. 3-cell plan. Timber-framed and plastered: C18/C19 herringbone pargetting. Thatched roof with C19 eyebrow casement dormer. An axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in C19 red brick. To right is a gable chimney of C19 red brick. Mid C20 casements. Mid C19 4- panelled entrance door; C20 timber porch. Interior not examined.

TOSTOCK
5/41 Elmswell New Hall

Sorry! - no picture
Farmhouse, early Cl9. Gault brick. Hipped slated roof with internal chimneys of gault brick. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Small-pane sashes: flat arches of gauged brick. A pair of 3-panelled entrance doors, the upper panels fielded: a segmental fanlight with decorative glazing bars. Doric portico porch with a pair of fluted columns supporting a flat entablature enriched with shallow paired modillions.