County Handbook of 1917

ELMSWELL

So called on account of an ancient well or spring, surrounded by elm trees, which, centuries since, supplied the villages with water. It is one of the highest spots in the North West Division of Suffolk, is in the hundred of Blackbourn, and very pleasantly stiuated on the main line to Ipswich, from which it is distant 18 miles, 6 miles from Stowmarket, and 8½ miles from Bury St. Edmunds. It is a very rising village, having an agricultural implement manufactory, also a cricket bat factory, and the St. Edmundsbury Bacon Factory, Ltd. Population in 1911, 853.
Leatherdale, J CJP, Chairman of PCC, Overseer
Collen, D WClerk of PCC, Churchwarden, Postmaster, EADT agent,Sec. of Oddfellows Friendly Soc. and Bowling Green
Durrant, ROverseer
Godbold, GOverseer
Harrison, MChurchwarden, Overseer
Kinsey, H CCollector of taxes
Ainley, MissHeadmistress, Church School
Brand, E MissAsst. mistress, Church School
Wilson, J F.R.H.Headmaster, Council School
Durrant, MissInfants' mistress, Council School
Hassell, JRegistrar of Births and Deaths
George, J R Rev B.A.Rector
Everett, MxCarrier to Bury (Wed & Sat)
Flowers, HStationmaster (GER)
Hanson, HBacon Factory Manager
Collen, MissSec. Lawn Tennis Club