Kelly's Directory of 1846

ELMSWELL, an ancient parish and village in the Hundred of Blackbourn, 4 miles north-west from Stowmarket, contained in 1841, 671 inhabitants, and about 2,021 acres of land. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Books at £11.7s.1d, and now has a yearly modus of £500, awarded in lieu of tithes in 1843. The Rev. Joseph Thos. Lawton, M.A., is patron and incumbent. The church is dedicated to St John, and has a handsome tower. A Wesleyan chapel was built here in 1818. Here are almshouses for poor widows.
GENTRY Graham, Irelandbutcher & farmer
Bridges, Mary, MrsGentry Howlett, Johnfarmer
Browne, MrsGentry Jackson, Isaacfarmer
Cooke, S, MrsGentry Lawton, Johnfarmer
Copping, Wm, MrGentry Lord, Walterfarmer
Lawton, Joseph Thomas, Revd.Gentry Lord, Williamfarmer
Rowe, Jno., MrGentry Matthew, Rebecca, MissNat.school
TRADERS Mulley, Georgebaker
Baker, George Randallbeer shop Mulley, Johnbootmaker
Beeton, Johnfarmer Mulley, Johngrocer & draper
Bridges, Denisfarmer Mulley, Reubintailor
Bull, Johntailor Mulley, Williambricklayer
Catchpole, Thosfarmer & maltster Robinson, Charlesbutcher
Clarke, Davidbootmaker Sayer, Reubintailor
Cornell, Williamfarmer Smith, WilliamRed Lion
Cuthbert, Johnwheelwright Sparke, (family)
Fakes, Johnfarmer Spencer, Williamblacksmith
Fakes, Robertcutler Welham, Nunngardener
Fenton, Edwardgardener Wright, Davidfarmer
Fenton, Zachgardener Wright, Reubinfarmer
Fisher, Henryfarmer Wright, Robertgrocer, draper, farmer
Goldsmith, Williamfarmer Wright, Williambootmaker & baker
Letters received through Woolpit.