Kelly's 1933 Directory

and some 1937 info...

ELMSWELL is a parish and village, with a station on the Bury and Ipswich section of the London and North Eastern railway, 86½ miles north-east from London, 8½ east from Bury St. Edmunds, 5½ north-west from Stowmarket and 18 north-west from Ipswich, in the Bury St. Edmunds division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Blackbourn, county court district of Stowmarket, rural district and rural deanery of Thedwastre, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Elmswell is a place of some antiquity, but its importance in the mediaeval period was due to its close connection with the great Benedictine Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds, the abbot of which was lord of the manor, and in 1433 entertained the young King Henry VI. A portion of the "Lord’s Chariot way” from Bury still remains in the parish as a disused Road. The church of St. John the Divine, erected by the monks of Bury and situated on an eminence, is an edifice of local flint with stone dressings in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, vestry, nave, aisles, porch, and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, two of which, however, are cracked: the base and angles of the tower, which was restored in 1913, and the porch exhibit fine flint work in various devices: at the east end of the south aisle is an ancient chantry chapel in the centre of which is the matrix of a beautiful decorated cross: a monument to Sir Robert Gardiner, a benefactor to the parish, now stands where formerly stood the altar of this chapel; the chancel was almost entirely rebuilt in 1864: the north aisle was built and the nave repaired and fitted with an open timber roof and oak benches in 1872: the octagonal font is of the Decorated period: the pulpit and carved litany desk, both of oak, were presented by W. Luke esq.: the wrought iron screen, with gates separating the chancel from the nave, was erected in 1874 by the rector as a memorial to his parents, to whom there is also a mural brass: there are several memorial windows: the church affords about 300 sittings. In the churchyard are the remains of an ancient cross, which was restored about the year 1904: there is also a memorial to the men who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1659. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £348, with 43 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir Charles Anthony King-Harman K.C.M.G. and held since 1919 by the Rev. Joseph David Sayer M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford. There is a Methodist chapel. Elmswell Tabernacle, on the Norwich Road, is an iron building, erected in 1887 at a cost of £220, and seating 300 persons. A cemetery of 1¼ acres was formed in 1901 at a cost of £300; it is under the control of the Parish Council. A bacon factory was opened here in 1911 by the St. Edmundsbury Co-operative Bacon Factory Limited. There also are timber yards and sawing and roller mills. Sir Robert Gardiner, who was lord of the manor in the time of James I. bequeathed charities of large amount for the benefit of the necessitous and deserving poor of the parish, the maintenance of six almswomen and the repairs of the church: these charities are administered by local trustees under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners. Elmswell New Hall, situated in a park of approximately 8 acres, is the property and residence of Arthur Francis Chamberlayne esq. The executors of W. A. Macfarlane Grieve esq. J.P. are lords of the manor. The land is mostly owned in small lots. The soil of the parish is composed partly of clay and partly loam; subsoil, gravel, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,089 acres; the population in 1931 was 954.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters through Bury St. Edmunds

Police Station

Railway Station (L. & N. E)

Carrier to Bury St. Edmunds.—G. Moore, from Walsham-le-Willows, passes through on tues. & wed. & to Stowmarket, thurs

Motor omnibus from Walsham-le-Willows, tues. & thurs.; omnibuses . also pass through to Bury St. Edmunds & Stowmarket twice daily

Oddfellows (Manchester Unity) (Loyal Haven of Prosperity Lodge, No. 6861 & Loyal Hand of Charity Lodge, No. 3571) (G. Rawlinson, sec)

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

AndreasenJuliusThe Limes
BakerHenryThe Willow House
BakerRobertIvy House
BarkshireFrankSunnyside
BorleyBerthaSt.Lucy. Church Mount '
CardyFrederickHall Lane
ChamberlayneArthurNew Hall (letters through Woolpit, Bury)
DurrantHYew Tree House
DurrantWilliamElmswell Grange
FellinghamWalterNorwood
FinbowMrsBelleville
GodboltBenjaminCannizaro
GoversH.Tempo
GreenWilliamLinges
HawesEdwardSchool Road
HeadASt. John's House
HendersonJohnThe Cedars
JewersOliverEagle House
LordMissWinterthorn
McGrathW.Westhill
MulleyHerbertCooks Road
MulleyMrsRose Bank
NewsonJohnThe Cottage
NunnFrankThe Laurels
NunnMrsHomefield
ParseyArthurArvon House
PeacockWilliamHolly lodge
PyeRobertMitford House
BowsonWilliamWhite House
SayerJosephThe Rectory
SterneHenry
StinsonWilliamThe Gables
SturgeonHerbertWoodstock House
TaylorJohnElm House
VinceMrsSouth View
WalpoleRegnld.Houghton House
WrightGeorgeKilnette
COMMERCIAL
ArmstrongWm. JsphshopkprNew rd
Baker & Sonmillers (oil)TN 28
Ball & Gibsonmotor engnrsOakdene garage. TN61
BallGeoconfc'tnrTN61
Barclays Bank Ltdopen fri. 10. 15 to 12; head office 54 Lombard street, London E C 3
BarkerAmbrose Charlesfarmer & buying agentStreet Farm. TN 4; TA. "Barker. Elmswell" for St. Edmundsbury Co-operative Bacon Factory Ltd. (attends Corn Exchange at Norwich, Ipswich, Bury &
BashamRegnld. Wbutcher
BentleyDavidgrocer& post office. TN1
BorleyFrederick WilliamfarmerGreen Farm
BorleyJohn Williambuilder
BorleyLouiswood hurdle maker
BullockHarry EdwardfmrBennetts
Cartwright & Coegg mers'
Cartwright's Timber Co. Ltdtimber mersT A "Cartwright. Elmswell;" TN24
CartwrightGeo. Cpoultry farmer
ClarkeC. & SonbutchersMill House
CowlinJas. & Sonsbrick mkrsThe Crossways brick works (letters through Woolpit, Bury)
DurrantEustacesaddler & harness mkr, &cHill Croft
Durrant Oscarpoultry fannerHill Croft
DyballAlfdfarmerWillow Farm
Eastern United Garagesgarage proprsTN8
EllistonEdwd. shopkpr
Elmswell Electrical Supplyelectrcl. engnrs
EnnalsArth. Danl. housing inspector to the Thedwastre Rural District CouncilLinden Croft
FaiersHoraceshopkpr
FarmerWmshopkprStation Rd
GibsonGeo. SfarmerWillow Wood
GibsonGeo. Sutcliffemotor engnr(see Ball & Gibson)
GoymerArthurboot repairer
GreenWm. N maltsterTA "Green"
HassallAustenrate collectorfor Beyton, Drinkstone, Elmswell, Hessett, Thurston, Tostock & Woolpit. TN7
HassallJasrelieving & vaccination officer & registrar of births, deaths & marriagesfor Walsham-le- Willows district & rate collector for Great Ashfield, Badwell Ash. Hunston & Langham
HawesWalter WakelinprinterTN49
HendersonJohn Williamaccountant & auditorThe Cedars
JacobWm. Freemancycle dlr
JewersOliver Ccorn, seed, oil cake & coal merchant & manure agentTN9
JohnsonAlfdfarmerBotany Bay Farm
KeenCharlesproprFox Hotel
°KempHerbt. EliasfarmerWhite House Farm. TN
KinseyHenry Cassessor & collector of taxesfor the divisions of Blackbourn; Thedwastre & Stow (41 parishes)
°KirkwoodJohnpoultry & general farmerElmswell Hall. TN15
LastCyrilsign&glass writerSchool Roaddistinctive lettering&designs; effective & inexpensive lettering for all purposes
LeggettLawrence Chasinsur. agtNew Rd
Lloyds Bank Ltd(sub-branch to Stowmarket); Fri. 10. 15 a. m. to l2 noon; head office, 71 Lombard st. London EC3
LudbrookVictor Octaviusboot reprAshfield rd
MiddletonJustina (Mrs. )fishmngrNew rd
Midland Bank Ltd(sub-branch to Bury St. Edmunds) (open Fri. 10. 15 a. m. to 12 noon). Fox hotel; head office. Poultry, London EC2
MillerHarold AlbtfarmerHill Farm. TN30.
MillerJonathanhaulage contractor&farmer
°MorleyWm. EfarmerCross Ways (letters through. . Woolpit, Bury). TN 6
MoyThomas Ltdcoal merchants
Mulley Herbert Ebuilders, contractors, undertakers...... blacksmiths, hot water & general engineers; cremations arranged. TN11
MulleySidney Herbertbuilder
MulleyStephenfishmngr
NormanArthurgrocer
NunnFrank Jagricultural implement manufacturer & agent; ironmonger &cBlackbourn iron works. T A "Warrens, Elmswell"; TN25horse hoes & harrows a speciality;
Oddfellows (Manchester Unity) (Loyal Haven of Prosperity Lodge, No. 6861 & Loyal Hand of Charity Lodge, No. 3571) (G. Rawlinson, sec)
OliverJndentist(attends wed. 7. 15 to 8 p. m)
PayersAlan BeckfordbldrWarwick House
PeacockWm. Luddingtonphyscn. &surgnHolly LodgeM. B. , Ch. B. Glas. , D. O. M. S. Eng.
PearlHarry Jegg merchantVine House
PearsonAlfredfarmerEastwood
PrattMabel Beatrice (Mrs. )butcher
PyeRt. Stephen (exors. of)timber merchantsElmswell station. TN 12
RandGeo. Stephen (Mrs. Rand, proprietress)bakerSchool Rd
ReisArchbld HerbtfarmerCubitts Hall Farm
RobinsonEwartglue mfrWillow works
RussellFrederickRailway tavern
ST. EDMUNDSBURY CO-OPERATIVE BACON FACTORY LIMITED (THE), bacon, lard & sausage manufacturers. T A "Bacon, Elmswell" TN 2
SmithGeo. Wfishmngr
SteedArthur Edwardmanufacturers' agentChurch Mountcorrespondent for "East Anglian Daily Times"
TylerFredfarmerGrove Farm
WelhamThoschimney sweepCouncil Houses
WoolnoughThosfarmerBunker's Hill Farm
WrightHy. GeofarmerKiln Farm (letters through Woolpit, Bury)
WyattOswald Jnsanitary inspector to the Thedwastre RDCButtenhaugh

"Residents" in 1933 and 1937

19331937
Parsey Arthur Arvon House Grummitt William
Finbow Mrs Belleville Finbow Mrs.
Godbolt Benjamin Cannizaro Kemp Herbert Elins
Henderson John Cedars Henderson John William
Church mount Steed Arthur Edward
Mulley Herbert Cooks Road Mulley Herbert E.
Newson John Cottage
Jewers Oliver Eagle House Jewers Oliver C.
Taylor John Elm House Taylor John Crumpton
Stinson William Gables Clarke Charles
Durrant William Elmswell Grange Reed Vernon John
Cardy Frederick Hall Lane
Peacock William Holly lodge Burgess William
Nunn Mrs Homefield Nunn Mrs.
Walpole Regnld. Houghton House Walpole Reginald O. H.
Baker Robert Ivy House Baker Robert
Wright George Kilnette Wright George
Nunn Frank Laurels Nunn Frank J.
Andreasen Julius Limes Andreasen Julius
Ennals Arth. Danl. Linden croft Ennals Arth. Davill
Green William Linges Green William N.
Pye Robert Mitford House Pye Mrs. Robert Stephen
Chamberlayne Arthur New Hall Chamberlayne Arthur Francis
Fellingham Walter Norwood Kemp Frank
Sayer Joseph Rectory Dolman Rev. George B.A., L.Th. (rector)
Mulley Mrs Rose Bank Mulley Mrs.
Hawes Edward School Road
Vince Mrs South View Vince Mrs.
Head A St. John's House Head Miss A. N.
Borley Bertha St.Lucy. Church Mount ' Borley Miss Bertha
Barkshire Frank Sunnyside Barkshire Capt. Frank
Govers H. Tempo Govers H. A. S.
McGrath W. Westhill Mortlock Misses
Bowson William White House
Baker Henry Willow House Baker Henry Robert Bruce
Lord Miss Winterthorn Lord Miss
Sturgeon Herbert Woodstock House Sturgeon Herbert John
Sterne Henry Sterne Henry H
Durrant H Yew Tree House Durrant Miss H.
Kinsey Henry C. Kinsey Henry Cotterell