Ashfield/Station Road, north of the railway

NB: Ashfield Road used to be known as Green Road

Ashfield Road . Full size
During WW2. The buildings opposite Grove Lane were Pease Transport at the time

Ashfield Road . Full size
Looking the other way past Pease transport

Ashfield Road . Full size
Then and Now

Ashfield Road . Full size

Ashfield Road 1907 . Full size Then and Now
Coming into Elmswell on Green Road 1909
Baptist chapel in middle distance

Ashfield Road, 2005 . Full size

Ashfield Road, 1906 . Full size
Looking out along Ashfield Road - 1906; horse & cart in the distance.

Ashfield Road . Full size
Green Road , coming into village, tin chapel on left.
Looking past the baptist chapel towards the centre

Ashfield Road . Full size; Then and Now
Ashfield Road, Baptist Chapel; workman raking off the manure, a necessary service!

Ashfield Road, 1960 . Full size
The tree is bigger, and there are electricity cables

Ashfield Road . Full size
Thurlow Nunn's Office on the right; baptist chapel and tree in the distance; Rose Cottage is hidden behind the sideways house (where Horry Faiers lived?)

Ashfield Road . Full size
Blackbourn Iron Works on the right; F J Nunn's new workshop, replacing Blackbourn Cottage where Warren lived; then The Laurels; another thatched cottage 'Homefield' is masked; barn... See map

Blackbourne Lane Full size
was accessed over a stile just south of the smithy, and led to Wetherden.

St Edmunds Drive . Full size
Leading into Bacon Factory; the boss, Mr Andreasson, lived in the big house in the centre; the office was in the right-hand building

East View (formerly Arundel Villa)

Station Road . Full size: Then and now
Station Road; Street Farm (Godbold's) on the right; the hut in the middle distance could be the cobbler (later barber) at the entrance to Bacon Factory drive

Station Road . Full size
Then and NowAbsence of telegraph pole shows this picture to be earlier than the next.

Mace, opposite The Lion . Full size
Lion Inn (now 'The Beeches') on the left, Mace to the right, the shop beyond it masked by trees no longer there; level-crossing gates (closed) in the distance

Lion yard & Mitford House, 1913 . Full size

The Old Bankhouse, 1912 . Full size
Lion yard in the distance; Victoria Terrace shop in the foreground

. Full size

Level crossing . Full size
The Fox has its big signboard on the roof; Jewers' sack store is not yet there, in front of Victoria Terrace.

Fox & Station Rd, 1906 . Full size
A telegraph pole along the road?

The Hunt, early 20c. . Full size

Fox & Station Rd, 1925 . Full size; Then and Now
Extreme right is the O C Jewers building used as a sack store (JF) and next to it the Station Garage eventually destroyed by fire
Definitely a telegraph pole now!

Station . Full size
Newson's where the Flower Station now is, then Jewers (still with its white fence) and Station Garage obscured by the tree, and No.1 Victoria Terrace
Moys' little coal office by the signal gantry, and the roof of the one-time Crown Inn (over the tracks) with a gas lamp in front of it.