School Road


School Road, 1930 . Full size
Down towards PO from the crossroads with Rose Lane and Hawk End Lane.

School Road . Full size; Then and Now
Towards the school: on the left Rose Cott, Rose Lane, The Chapel, Tavern and Tudor Cottages; on the right No.1 Hawk End Lane, Chapel Row

School Road . Full size; Then and Now
Towards the school: on the right No.1 Hawk End Lane, Chapel Row and the baker's shop; on the left the sign of the Tavern

School Road . Full size; Then and Now
Chapel (railings overgrown) and Tavern to the left, the school in the distance, Chapel Row on the right (the baker's shop is hidden by trees); telegraph poles but not electricity.

School Road . Full size
Towards the PO from in front of the Methodist Chapel, Chapel Row and No.1 Hawk End Lane on the left; telephone and electricity poles.

Baker's Shop, 1908 . Full size; Then and Now
The house beyond must be the present "Old Farm Cottages".

School Road, 1917 . Full size; Then and Now
Right: Tudor cottages (before renovation), Tavern, Chapel; left: the baker's shop

School Road, 1936 . Full size
The same, 19 years later: telephone and electricity; gate into the field on the left, where the pond was.

School Avenue, early 60s? . Full size
From School Road; at the far end there was a County Council yard at one time

School Road . Full size; Then and Now
From outside the school; in the middle distance is a pair of thatched cottages, pulled down to make way for the entrance to Pightle Close, and beyond that the little lock-up shop

School Road (west) . Full size
The thatched cottage on the left is no longer there.

Willow House (formerly Garden House), dated approx. 2010 . Full size
Garden House on School Road is now The Willow House where the Norgates live. Zachariah Fenton, Christine Dalton's G-G-Grandfather, was the owner occupier (she has a photo). Identified as plot 566 on the 1843 Tithe Map (now part of Little Green) 2015 - Christine Dalton still lives in the village, in School Avenue.